spin it

5.09.2005

Alien Vomit

Last night I spun up 2 singles, each at about 2 oz. The first used the last of my Kool-aid dyed roving, a mixture of green, yellow, and blue. The second used the results of my first experiment with food coloring dyed roving, alternating long sections of reddish/purple and chartreuse. The thing about dyeing with food coloring is that although you have more control over the colors, the amount of drops to add to each batch varies, and it is harder to fully saturate the fiber uniformly.

The chartreuse used
2 1/2 C warm water
1/4 C vinegar
15 drops yellow
5 grops green
1 oz fiber

The purple (which was not the coolest color...)
2 1/2 C water
1/4 C vinegar
15 drops red
5 drops blue
1 oz fiber

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I plan on plying them together to create alien vomit. But, when I look at the singles, I really like the look of the swirls in the blue and green yarn. I want to make a note that the roving looked like very small splotches after the dyeing process. I used a spoon to carefully apply the kool-aid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home